Recipe by Chris Molloy, Lemon Tree Restaurant
Click on image to download
For the lamb mix:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 450g minced lamb shoulder
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- Donegal Rapeseed Oil for frying
For the crunchy slaw:
- 300g red cabbage
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 apple, coarsely grated
- Bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Donegal Rapeseed oil
- 4 little gem lettuces, roughly chopped
- 8 soft taco shells
- 80g crumbled Feta
- To make the slaw, shred the cabbage and place in a large bowl with the carrot, apple, and spring onions. Whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar and oil then season and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of the oil over a medium heat. In batches, cook the mince until browned.
- Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Wipe the pan clean and return to the heat. Add another tbsp of oil, add the onion and fry, without colour, for about 5 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the ground coriander and fry for a few minutes more, then add the mince.
- Heat the mince right through and coat in the spices then stir in the harissa.
- Cook for another 5 minutes until the mince has cooked through, then taste and season.
- While the lamb cooks, lightly heat the tortillas until the shells are warmed then place the lamb mix into each of the shells then crumble over the feta cheese.
- Add some slaw and chopped coriander to serve.
Support our local Donegal farmers, butchers and restaurants.
Explore our certified Donegal Food Coast members